At the bridal shower, your friends and family members “showered” you with love and generous presents. Now it’s time to let those dearest to your heart know how much you loved celebrating with them—and how much you appreciate the beautiful gifts you received—with a heartwarming thank you card. The task is easier said than done, especially if you struggle to translate your gratitude into written words. But don’t let writing bridal shower thank you notes cause you undue stress: we have the answers to all your thank you note etiquette questions, complete with ideas for what to write and wording samples. Grab a pen and that stack of blank thank you cards—let’s get to writing.
Need help writing wedding thank you notes instead? See our guide on how to word wedding thank you cards.
Bridal Shower Thank You Card Etiquette
Navigating all the rules for writing a thank you note can be a bit overwhelming, especially when you’re in the throes of planning a wedding, too. But there’s no need to stress—we’ve broken down the most important things to know below.
General Thank You Card Etiquette
- Write the note by hand.
- Use a blank thank you card.
- Keep a record of who attended and gave each gift.
- Plan what you’re going to say before writing.
- Write too much.
- Be critical of the gift (or the lack of a gift).
- Mention specific amount given for monetary gifts.
When Do I Send Bridal Shower Thank You Cards?
Thank you cards should be sent to each individual who attended your bridal shower and/or purchased a gift no more than two weeks after the date of the party.
Pro Tip: Purchase thank you cards before the bridal shower—especially if you’re using a custom design—so you already have them on hand immediately following the celebration.
Who Should Sign Bridal Shower Thank You Cards?
Although it may feel like the gift was given just to you, bridal shower thank you cards should be signed by you and your partner. The only exception to this rule is when you receive a gift that’s clearly meant for only you (think lingerie, spa gift cards, or other bride-centric gifts).
Can I Combine Bridal Shower and Wedding Thank You Cards?
The short answer? No. A different thank you note should be written for each event a guest attends, regardless of whether they brought a gift each time.
What to Write In a Bridal Shower Thank You Card
3 Things To Consider Before Writing A Thank You Note Before you begin writing, there’s a few key questions you should ask yourself that will make crafting your thank you note easier.
1. What is your relationship to the guest? If you’re close with the guest, your message should be personal and heartfelt. However, if you don’t know the guest well, or just met them for the first time, a short and sweet thank you note is just fine.
2. Was the guest able to attend the shower? If the guest was able to celebrate with you in person, make sure to call it out in your thank you note. If they were unable to attend, let them know how much you missed them.
3. Did the guest provide a gift? If so, what was it? A thank you note is required for every guest that attended your bridal shower, whether they brought a present or not. However, if a guest did purchase a gift, it’s important to specifically mention it in your note (see more on this below). The same goes for guests who mailed a gift but were unable to attend the party.
How to Write Bridal Shower Thank You Notes
Next, let’s look the basic anatomy of a thank you note. Sticking to these six simple steps will give your message structure and help reduce time spent mulling over how you should express your gratitude.
- Mrs. Jones
2. Thank Them for Their Presence
- Thank you so much for celebrating with me at my bridal shower!
- I’m so grateful that you could be there to join me on this special day.
3. Thank Them for The Gift (If Applicable)
- Thank you so much for the beautiful set of cheese knives.
- We so appreciate our new set of wine glasses.
4. Share What You Love About The Gift
- They’ve been such a great addition to our weekly cheese and charcuterie date night.
- We think about you every Saturday when we pour ourselves a glass of wine and work on planning our upcoming wedding.
5. Show Your Appreciation for Them as a Person
- Your friendship means so much to us. Thanks again for your support as we journey into married life together.
- It was so fun to see you at the shower. We can’t wait to continue the celebration with you at our wedding.
6. Sign Off
Finny & Spencer
Lynne & Toby
Bridal Shower Thank You Card Wording Samples
To get the ink flowing, check out these examples for how to word thank you notes for all kinds of situations.
For a Guest Who Bought a Gift from Your Registry
Thank you so much for coming to my bridal shower last Saturday! We’re so grateful for the beautiful tea towels you gave us. They already make a great addition to our kitchen.
Your friendship means so much to us and we can’t wait to celebrate with you at the wedding in a few weeks.
Kieran & Tina
For a Guest Who Brought a Cash Gift
Dear Aunt Diana,
It was a true delight to see you at the shower. Thank you so much for your generous gift. We’ve just booked a glass bottom boat ride during our upcoming honeymoon thanks to you. We’ll tell you all about the experience when we see you this Thanksgiving!
Thanks again for the support you’ve shown us throughout our engagement. We look forward to hitting the dance floor with you on the big day.
All our love,
Emma & Julian
For a Guest Who Brought a Gift You Didn’t Like or Exchanged
How wonderful to see you at the bridal shower! Thank you for the bagel toaster you gave us. It was very generous and we appreciate you thinking of us.
Looking forward to having you at the wedding next month. We know that many more great memories will be made with you there!
Tessa & Will
For a Guest Who Attended But Did Not Bring a Gift
Thank you for celebrating with me at my shower! I hope that you had an amazing time. It was great to see you there and catch up.
Thank you again for being there to honor this special time with us. Can’t wait to see you at the wedding!
Ronan & Adrienne
For a Guest Who Sent a Gift But Couldn’t Attend
Thank you so very much for the beautiful luggage. We’ve already put the carry-ons to good use at our weekend getaway in New York last weekend, and we can’t wait to show off these stylish suitcases on our honeymoon to Italy this spring.
We missed you at the shower, but we are so excited to see you at the wedding. Thank you again for the thoughtful gift!
Rebecca & Hannah
For a Guest Who Is a Very Close Friend
Thank you for celebrating by my side at the bridal shower. Toby and I so appreciate the awesome French press and coffee beans you gave us. We can’t help but think of you every time we sip our morning brew.
You have no idea how much your love has meant to us over the years. It’s going to make our day so special to have you in the crowd on the big day. We’re excited to see you bust one of your famous moves on the dance floor!
Lynne & Toby
For a Guest Who Is a Formal Acquaintance
Dear Mrs. Perdu,
Please accept our sincere thanks for the beautiful picture frames you gave us. They make a lovely addition to our mantle, and we are looking forward to using them to show off our favorite memories throughout the years to come.
It meant so much to us that you were able to attend the shower. Your kindness is so appreciated, and we look forward to seeing you at the wedding.
Finny & Spencer
For The Host of The Bridal Shower
Words can’t express how truly grateful we are for the shower you planned and hosted. From the balloon display to the delicious cake pops, every detail was perfect. None of it would have been possible without you. Thank you for always being such an amazing friend and for supporting us through every detail of planning our wedding. Having you in our lives has made this special time even more meaningful.
We can’t wait to have you right there with us as we exchange our vows and journey into married life. Thanks again for everything you do.
Audra & Charles