Perhaps you’ve decided to style your own hair for your wedding to save time and money, but suddenly realize you have no idea how to do wedding hair. Don’t worry, we’re here to help. Opting for a DIY wedding hairstyle can be intimidating, but all it takes is a little preparation to pull it off flawlessly. Luckily there are some tried and true DIY wedding hair tricks that you can use to make sure you look amazing when you walk down the aisle. Here are our DIY wedding hair tips to follow for gorgeous wedding hairstyles you can pull off yourself.
1. Whip Your Hair into Shape
- The best thing you can do to ensure your strands are looking their best on the big day is to give them a little TLC before the wedding. Here are some of our hair care suggestions:
- Invest in a quality shampoo and conditioner
- Treat your hair to a weekly mask
- Avoid styling with severe heat
- Stay away from dyeing your hair
2. Watch the Weather
- Think about how the weather will impact your hair type. Humidity can turn curly hair into a lion’s mane, while rain can leave fine hair in a limp mess despite all your best volumizing efforts.
- Watch the forecast when planning your wedding day hairstyle. You may need to make adjustments if Mother Nature intervenes.
3. Wash the Day Before
- Slightly dirty hair has better texture for styling because the buildup of oils makes strands grippier and easier to tame.
- If you’re a wash-every-day kind of gal, resist the urge to suds up on the day of your wedding.
4. Don’t Color or Cut Your Hair Right Before the Wedding
- Avoid the stylist’s chair to make any big changes before the wedding.
- Going with a drastically different cut or color means you risk making a decision you regret, or that your hair might not style as you would normally expect it to.
5. Use Quality Styling Tools and Products
- If there’s ever a time to splurge, it’s for your DIY wedding day hair!
- Investing in quality tools and products that work for your hair type will make a huge difference in your end results. The last things you want is a cheap hairspray that doesn’t hold, or a flat iron that fails to heat up at the crucial moment.
6. Embrace Your Hair Type
- It’s important that you work with your hair type and choose a DIY hairstyle that your hair can accommodate without a lot of hassle.
- For example, straight, baby-fine hair may be difficult to style into big, bouncy ringlets, but could easily be swept up into a sleep chignon or low bun.
7. Secure and Set Your Style
- Whether you choose to wear your hair up or down for the wedding, it’s key that you secure and set your style.
- Have plenty of bobby pins and hairspray on hand—you’ll need them to keep every tendril and twist in place throughout the photos, ceremony, reception, and dance floor action.
8. Watch Tutorials
- You aren’t the first bride to attempt DIY wedding hair. The internet is a treasure trove of step-by-step video tutorials and how-to articles. Search online for instructions that are useful to you, and then use them!
- Be flexible. You may have your heart set on a classic updo, but discover that a fishtail braid really completes your bridal look.
9. Practice, Practice, Practice
- Set yourself up for success by practicing your wedding hair before the big day.
- Completing a few test runs will help your perfect your look and provide you with valuable information, such as:
- How long it’ll take you to do your own hair
- What products and tools you need
- Whether the style you’ve chosen works for you and stays put