April is a month filled with the promise of new blooms, crisp air, and the start of the spring wedding season! It’s time to welcome brighter, warmer options for wedding themes, food, and more as the shifting season ushers in new beginnings.
If you’re looking for an ideal mouth for tying the knot, it doesn't get much better than this one. Here’s everything you'll need to plan every detail of your day if you've chosen April as your wedding month.
History & Culture
- It’s a common belief that “April”, derived from the word “aperire” which means “to open”, was given its name because it marked the season of trees and flowers begin to “open” or bloom.
- April’s birthstone is the diamond, a stone that’s been a symbol of marriage since the 15th century.
- In Ancient Rome the month of April was considered the sacred month of Venus, the Goddess of love and beauty.
Ideas And Inspiration
What's In Season?
Looking to showcase some of the season’s best food and florals at your wedding? You’ve come to the right place.
- Save on the silverware by serving mini stuffed shells, drumsticks, or even veggies with dip, bites guaranteed to put a smile on everyone’s faces.
- Keep up the trend with cupcakes, donuts, and mini fruit tarts as dessert options; no utensils needed.
- Tulips, peonies, hyacinths, and daffodils are all in bloom this season, so make the most of them in your bouquets and arrangements.
After a long winter, the pleasant weather of the spring months is highly anticipated. The weather this month however can vary widely by region.
- Ever heard the saying, “April showers bring May flowers”? Though April may not be the wettest month in most regions, about half of it is expected to be rainy.
- Average temperatures around the country this month range from 46°F and 57°F. Early spring in the north still has a lot of cold winter days. There are even snowstorms on occasion.
- In more southern regions like Texas, the weather is perfect in the spring. It’s warm enough to put chilly days in the rearview, but still avoids the intense heat of the summer. On the other hand, areas like New York City, usually have chilly temperatures and cloudy skies that tend to last until June.
Tip: With the weather this month being highly unpredictable, be sure to have a rainy day plan in place and share the details with your guests via your wedding website.
April is light on holidays, but depending on the year, the month could hold a number of religious celebrations and observances. If planning around these is important for your wedding, keep these dates in mind:
- April 1: April Fool’s Day
- April 2: Ramadan begins
- April 15: Passover begins
- April 17: Easter
- April 22: Earth Day
Tip: If your family tends to gather for these celebrations during the month, take advantage of this by planning your wedding around this time to save on travel costs.
Use these fun ideas to your advantage while picking the themes for your celebrations.
- Recreate the charm of a lush garden party theme. Your ceremony can be like a scene straight out of Bridgerton or The Secret Garden.
- Take your love back in time with a historical wedding theme. Consider replacing the traditional dress code with one inspired by medieval times.
- If your love burns as bright as the stars, consider a celestial wedding. Get decor inspiration from astronomy for an event that’s out-of-this-world.
Flexibility is the name of the game when it comes to dressing for an April wedding.
- The options are almost endless for wedding attire this month. You can find looks that are short and sultry or lengthy and laid-back that would fit just about any dress code.
- Even if you know what the weather will be like on your wedding day, ask your guests to bring a raincoat. Boots, jackets, or umbrellas are also a must in the case of a rainy wedding day.
Quick color tip: Choose vibrant color combinations of reds, pinks, blues, and yellows to make your special day even more eye-catching.
Want the scoop on how other couples are planning their April weddings? Here are some fun facts from Zola about weddings this month.
Couples’ Favorite April Wedding Invites + Paper Designs
April’s most popular Invites + Paper designs on Zola that are couples’ top picks.
- Napa Suite. This boho-chic design features arches of lush mauve, purple, and blush flowers framing all your wedding details.
- Cricket Suite. This botanical design features succulents and lush desert blooms framing your wedding details, all set against a solid background.
- Gardner Suite. This floral design features lovely hand-painted blooms next to a savvy mix of timeless typography.
Average Guest Count for April Weddings
The average number of wedding guests on the guestlist for a April wedding is 127.
Popular Registry Adds for April Weddings
Couples getting married in April have these top three must-adds on their wedding registries:
Things To Consider
April weddings are just a few weeks ahead of the bustling summer wedding season, so here are a few things to keep in mind when planning your wedding events:
- With so many weddings happening this time of year, the competition is fierce. But the best wedding ideas for an indoor or outdoor wedding are available this time, broadening your options for your venues and vendors.
- Weddings this month shot up in popularity some years ago due to the Royal Wedding between William and Kate, which took place on April 29th.
- After a long and lonely winter, your family and friends will definitely be looking forward to celebrating your special day this month. Be sure to send STDs in time for them to put on their calendars.
It’s the start of peak wedding season, so be on the lookout for rising rates for wedding venues and vendors!
- Venues and vendors tend to be heavily booked during this time of year due to the high demand for spring and summer weddings. Reach out to your preferred vendors anywhere from a year in advance to inquire about their availabilities.
- Save a little extra by opting for in-season flowers and decorations. Your wedding florist will know best that available flowers that’ll perfectly suit the theme of your ceremony.
Choosing when to have your wedding can be tough, but if you're looking for an all-around ideal wedding month, April is one of the bests. Although there are a few things you have to navigate, unpredictable weather and a busy vendor schedule, you can have a wonderful spring wedding that all of your loved ones can attend if you plan it properly. Your wedding can be anything you want, and we're confident that with this guide, you'll be able to pull it off perfectly!