Congratulations! You just joined the club of unstoppable couples proving nothing can come between you and your plans to share your special day with the ones you love. Well, nothing but a computer screen.
Seriously, with all the changes and rearrangements you’ve had to make, it takes a lot of courage to embrace this unfamiliar yet exciting new mode of celebration: Virtual Events. That’s why we want to give you the confidence and the tools you need to share your screen and your ceremony with our brand new Virtual Events tool.
PS. Be sure to send this to your wedding party and family, too. This tool can be used for virtual bach parties, showers, vow renewals, and whatever other celebration you can come up with.
We're here to help!
If you need any assistance with your Virtual Event, please email our customer support team at email@example.com or call us at 1-408-657-ZOLA.
Our team is available 10 am - 6 pm EST, seven days a week
We are here to help in every way that we can, and we normally respond to every message in under 24 hours. Due to the unusual circumstances of COVID-19, we are experiencing a very high volume of inquiries and some requests are taking a little longer than usual. Every question is important to us, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Who Can Use the Virtual Events Tool?
All couples who have already activated their Zola websites can schedule virtual events.
Your Zola website is already the perfect hub for planning your wedding, why not host it there too? With our Virtual Events tool you can embed an existing or new Zoom meeting (created through the Zola user experience) on your wedding website so your guests can easily find and access your virtual event(s).
How to Install and Set Up Virtual Events
- Navigate to the Schedule page within the website editing experience. Remember: Your Zola wedding website needs to already be activated.
- Start by creating your first Virtual Event. You will then be prompted to:
1. Connect your Zoom account. You will be taken to Zoom to create or authenticate an existing account. You will only have to do this once.
2. Create a new Zoom meeting through Zola or add an existing meeting IDs (our app only supports unique meeting IDs, not recurring or personal meeting IDs)
3. "Add to the website” shows you a preview of your Virtual Event on the schedule page.
You can edit your site (title, event description, attire suggestions) and also make your event public or private.
- Clicking “Back to Your Schedule” takes you back to the schedule to make any necessary adjustments.
- “Save Virtual Event” lets you complete your set up, which may include:
- Adding all of the details you need like the date and time of your event, for example.
- Launching the event in Zoom.
- Sharing, previewing, and testing the setup.
Can I create and host multiple virtual events?
Yes! Why have just one virtual event when you can have as many as you want? Think wedding shower, ceremony, bach party, reception—the possibilities are pretty much endless.
Once you connect your Zoom account you can add more virtual events at any time. You can also disconnect Zoom from your Zola account settings at anytime.
It’s Finally the Big Day!
Here's how to make your virtual event happen.
Manage, Get Ready for, and Run Your Event
Manage Your Event
- You can access the “Virtual Event Hub” for your virtual events from the Schedule page on your website.
- Re-enter the editing flow for the selected event from the “Hub”
Getting Ready For Your Event
- Preview what guests will see from the “Hub”
- Test starting and hosting their meeting at anytime from the “Hub”
- Copy and share their URL from the hub
- Access EA articles from the hub
- You will be prompted to launch the event in the Zoom app.
- Be sure to highlight your own video. Your guests are tuned in to watch you, not anyone else.
- Your guests will be able to access the event-specific landing page directly from the URL you shared.
- Guests will be also be able to access your event by navigating to the schedule page and clicking the Zoom URL there.
How to Disconnect Your Zoom Account
- Great! Now that your event is done you can disconnect you Zoom account by navigating to your Zola Account (press "Your Account" in the dropdown under the person icon on the top right).
- Scroll down to the "Connect Accounts" section where you can disconnect your Zoom account.
- Don’t worry. Your Virtual Events will still exist, but it will no longer sync or update details through Zola.
Do we need an officiant for our Zoom wedding?
- It depends on your local laws, as virtual weddings are not yet legal in every state. But you’ll most likely require an officiant, witnesses, and marriage license to make your union official. Many couples are also opting to virtually celebrate now and legally marry later, once stay-at-home orders end. For more guidance, read our Expert Advice post.
How should we share our virtual event details with guests?
- If your original plans have changed, we recommend sending a change the date with important details like the new date and time of your virtual event. Make sure to add your virtual event page URL and website password, too. Still in the early stages of planning? Share these details with guests on your save the dates and invites.
Can we add multiple virtual events to our site?
- Yes! You can host as many virtual events as you want on Zola, from your shower to your wedding, reception, and more. Just head to your Schedule page and hit “Add a Virtual Event.” We’ll help you set up Zoom meetings that guests can attend right on your website.
How do we record our virtual event?
- Once you start your virtual event in the Zoom app, you’ll see a “Record” button on the bottom of the window. Click it to start recording (and don’t forget to unmute yourselves). After your event ends, Zoom will automatically save your recording for you. Check out Zoom’s guide for more.
How many guests can attend our virtual event?
- If you have Zoom’s free Basic plan, you can host meetings up to 40 minutes long with 100 guests max. Planning a longer event or inviting more guests? We recommend upgrading your plan. For more info, head to Zoom’s website.
How long can our virtual event last?
- Like your guest count, this varies depending on your Zoom plan. Have Zoom’s free Basic plan but want to host an event longer than 40 minutes? Consider upgrading to one of Zoom’s paid plans or shaving down your invite list.
It may seem daunting to host a virtual event now, but, trust us, you'll get the hang of it. Plus, we're always here to help support however we can. Now, log in and start creating the virtual wedding (or shower or bach party or reception or...) of your dreams.