Matt, Executive Sous Chef at Per Se, and Lorin, a personal chef for a family, met while working at the world-renowned French Laundry in Napa Valley. For their first holiday as husband and wife, this Zola couple dishes on one of their favorite recipes for a Thanksgiving Day dessert.
Rum & Vanilla Poached Pears
Will need: medium cast iron or sauté pan with lid
- 2 Anjou pears
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- 3 T dark rum
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or can scrape 1 vanilla bean)
- Preheat a cast iron pan or medium sized sauté pan (not nonstick) over medium/high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Stir to mix well.
- Peel the pears and split lengthwise.
- With a small spoon, scoop out the core and seeds.
- Place pears facedown in sugar mixture and then facedown into hot pan.
- Allow the face of the pear to caramelize until golden brown (5-8 minutes).
- Deglaze with rum and then add water and vanilla.
- Place lid on pan and turn down your heat to medium-low.
- Allow to poach for approximately 10 minutes or until a toothpick or small knife can be inserted without resistance.
- Top with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or just enjoy by itself!