Calligraphy is a beautiful way to add elegance and flair to your wedding invitations. The envelopes you choose for your invitations are the first impression you make on your guests—so make that impression a lasting (and stylish) one with custom calligraphy!
We asked the experts at Wedding Paper Divas to share their top calligraphy tips, so you can make a beautiful impression on your wedding guests and set an elegant tone for your big day!
Calligraphy is an ancient art form that requires skill and practice; however, that doesn’t mean you can’t learn. If you have plenty of time before you need to send your wedding invitations, consider brushing up on your calligraphy skills and trying it out yourself. You can learn by watching calligraphy videos or even taking an online class. Even if you don’t have a calligraphy pen with an angled edge, you can trace or copy your favorite calligraphy fonts with these easy steps:
- Start by choosing a font or style you like. Look at examples for inspiration and to see how the letters connect to each other.
- Then, using a fine-tipped pen or marker, simply write your name/address in regular cursive, emulating the font you like.
- The next step is to thicken the downstrokes of each letter to imitate a calligraphy look. Angled calligraphy pens create letters with varied thickness, so your goal is to achieve that varied thickness with your pen. To do this, simply draw a line alongside the downstrokes (strokes that were made in a top-to-bottom motion) of your letters.
- Finally, use your pen to fill in the outlines you made.
- Your finished product will look just like real calligraphy.
TIP: If you’re running low on time, try downloading your favorite calligraphy fonts and simply printing the text directly onto your envelopes. There’s no shame in faking it until you make it, especially once you see the final product of your beautiful wedding invitation calligraphy.
If you’re set on sending handwritten invitations but you want an expert look, professional calligraphers are a great choice for achieving the font of your dreams. You can expect most to charge $2-$5 per envelope or more, with extra fees for custom ink colors, metallic inks or especially intricate fonts. A professional will require 2-3 weeks to address wedding envelopes, so book one well in advance.
Custom printed envelopes are just as beautiful as the real thing and can save you significant time and money. At Wedding Paper Divas, address printing is included FREE with all wedding envelopes purchases.
All you need to do is:
- Start you address book — Import a spreadsheet or use the easy gather tool and send all of your guests a link.
- Choose free address printing — Select guest addressing, return addressing or both.
- Customize your envelopes — Select a custom envelope that compliments your wedding invitation and personal style.
Shop this Delightful Blooms wedding invitation
Wedding Paper Divas features a variety of stylish printed calligraphy options to make mailing your invitations a breeze. Whether you choose to do it yourself, hire a professional or opt for the convenience of free address printing, your wedding invitations are sure to shine with beautiful, custom calligraphy.
When you’re all set with your invites, consider framing it as a keepsake! All of your hard work and newfound skills can be displayed in your home as a beautiful symbol of love from your wedding day. Shop Zola’s selection of frames here or consider registering for custom framing by Framebridge.